Some of the common considerations affecting all types of specimens include:
• Failure to label a specimen correctly and to provide all pertinent information required on the test request form.
• Insufficient quantity of specimen to perform test or QNS (quantity not sufficient).
• Failure to use the correct container/tube for appropriate specimen preservation.
• Inaccurate and incomplete patient instructions prior to collection.
• Failure to tighten specimen container lids, resulting in leakage and/or contamination of specimens.
• Failure to maintain the specimen at the appropriate temperature requirement.